Driving School

Find a Driving School Online Driver's EdLicense ProcessDriving ResourceContact UsWhat's New

DMV - New Driver license in Arizona

Application for a driver鈥檚 license in Arizona

Applying for a Driver鈥檚 License

If you are currently licensed in another state, you must bring in your out-of-state driver license and one other form of identification, take the vision test, and pay the appropriate fee. A written test will not be required.

If you are between the ages of 16 and 18, a parent or legal guardian must sign the legal guardian section on the driver license application. The legal guardian's identification may serve as one form of identification, but you will still need two additional documents, such as an original birth certificate and Social Security card. You will be subject to the written, vision and road skills test as well as the appropriate application fee.

Graduated INSTRUCTION PERMIT Requirements

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Teen must be at least 15 years and 6 months old.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Teen and parent must provide necessary application documents.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Teen must pass written and vision tests.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Teen must have a licensed driver who is at least 21 years of age seated in the front seat next to him or her at all times.

Graduated DRIVER LICENSE Requirements

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Teen must be at least 16 years old.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Teen must hold the class G permit for at least six months.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Teen must have completed 20 hours of supervised, behind-the-wheel daytime driving practice and 10 hours of supervised, behind the wheel night time driving practice鈥揳 total of 30 hours鈥揵efore applying for graduated driver license.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 For the first six months, a teen with a graduated driver license cannot drive between the hours of midnight to 5:00am unless:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 A parent or legal guardian who has a valid driver license is sitting in the front passenger seat,

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 The teen is driving to or from a sanctioned school sponsored activity, sanctioned religious activity, place of employment, or family emergency.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Teen with a Graduated Driver License shall not drive a motor vehicle containing more than one passenger under the age of 18 on a public highway, unless:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 The passengers are the teen driver鈥檚 siblings or

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 The teen driver is accompanied by a parent of legal guardian with a valid driver license and occupies the front passenger seat.

NOTE: If the teen driver has no outstanding extensions of the restricted driving period or suspension of driving privileges during the completion of the first six months of restricted driving, the teen may drive without restriction until eligible to apply for a Class D driver license beginning at age 18.

Types of Instruction Permits

If you are at least 15 years and 6 months of age you may be issued a graduated and/or a motorcycle instruction permit. You must be at least 18 for an operator permit.

With a graduated permit you must be accompanied by a class A, B, C or D licensed driver, who is at least 21 years of age and occupies the seat beside you.

With an operator permit you must be accompanied by a class A, B, C or D licensed driver, who occupies the seat beside you.

These permits are valid for 12 months.

With a motorcycle permit you are prohibited from operating a motorcycle on freeways or interstate highways, or between sunset and sunrise, or at any time when there is not enough light to clearly see persons or vehicles at a distance of 500 feet.

The motorcycle instruction permit is valid for 7 months and can be renewed one time within a 24-month period.

The commercial instruction permit is valid for a 6-month period. You must be at least 18 to apply. For additional information, see the Commercial Driver License Manual.

Foreign Visitors

You may legally drive in Arizona using a valid driver license from another country. An International Driving License or Permit is not required, but is recommended since it can be printed in English, and can be used in conjunction with the driver license from the other country. If an International Driving License or Permit is used alone, it must be issued by a country other than the United States. Vehicle rental companies may have additional requirements.

However, Arizona law requires that you obtain an Arizona driver license (and vehicle registration) immediately if any one of the following applies. If you:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work)

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Are registered to vote in Arizona

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Have a business that has an office in Arizona, and that bases and operates vehicles in this state

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Remain in Arizona for a total of 7 months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence.

Out-of-state students enrolled with 7 or more semester hours are not considered Arizona residents, regardless of employment.

Active duty military personnel based in Arizona who qualify for exemption under the Service Members Civil Relief Act of 2003 are not considered Arizona residents.

What are the new penalties for moving violations while under the age of 18?

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 1st Violation - If you attend Defensive Driving School your record will remain clean.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 2nd Violation (first conviction) - You must attend Traffic Survival School.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 3rd Violation (second conviction) - 3 month suspension.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 4th Violation (third conviction) - 6 month suspension.

Traffic Survival School

You may be required to attend a Traffic Survival School for one of the following:

For convictions causing the accumulation of at least 8 points, but not more than 12 points, within a 12-month period, with no Traffic Survival School completed in the previous 24 months.

For a conviction of one of the following violations: Aggressive Driving, Moving Violation Resulting In An Accident Causing Serious Physical Injury, Moving Violation Resulting In An Accident Causing Death.

For the first moving violation of a driver under 18 years of age

For a conviction for Red Light Running

Source: DMV

    Driving School Advertisement


    Home | Contact Us | Find a Driving School | Online Drivers Education | Link Directory | Sitemap | Advertise your Driving School

    © wanadrive.com
    Carte d'affaire