Driving School

Find a Driving School Online Driver's EdLicense ProcessDriving ResourceContact UsWhat's New

DMV - New driver license in Michigan

Application for a driver鈥檚 license in Michigan


Graduated Driver License

The Department of State offers the Graduated Driver License in a standard and enhanced version. The enhanced GDL is an attractive alternative to the standard license because it allows you to re-enter the U.S. by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean without the need to show additional identity or citizenship documents at the border.

Applying for a Standard Graduated Driver License

Level 1 Learner's License Eligibility

To be eligible for a Level 1 Learner's License, applicants must:

Present acceptable documentation of U.S. citizenship or legal presence, identity and Michigan residency

         Be at least 14 years 9 months old

         Pass a vision test

         Provide their Social Security number or letter of ineligibility

         Meet physical and mental standards as prescribed by the Secretary of State

         Successfully complete Segment 1 of an approved driver education program and present a Segment 1 Certificate of Completion

         Have a parent, legal guardian, or responsible adult sign the Level 1 application

Level 2 Intermediate License Eligibility

To be eligible to apply for a Level 2 Intermediate License, applicants must:

         Present a Level 1 Learner's License and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal presence.

         Be at least 16 years old

         Pass a vision test

         Meet physical and mental standards as prescribed by the Secretary of State

         Have possessed a Level 1 Learner's License for not less than 6 months

         Must have successfully completed Segment 2 of an approved driver education program and present a Segment 2 Certificate of Completion

         Pass a driving skills test and present a Driving Skills Test Certificate

         Have no convictions or civil infractions, license suspensions, or at-fault crashes for the 90-day period immediately prior to applying for a Level 2 Intermediate License

         Have a parent, legal guardian, or responsible adult sign the application to certify the 50 hours behind-the-wheel experience

Level 3 Full License Eligibility

To be eligible for a Level 3 Full License, applicants must:

         Be at least 17 years old

         Complete at least six months at Level 2

         Complete 12 consecutive months without a moving violation, an accident in which a moving violation resulted, an accident, a license suspension, or a violation of the graduated license restrictions (may be six months at Level 1 and six months at Level 2, if consecutive)

A new Level 3 license is created and mailed from Lansing using the electronic image on file (obtained at Level 2). This license is issued at no-fee to the applicant. A teen will automatically advance to a Level 3 License provided he or she is age 17, has met all driving requirements, and has parental authorization. This authorization is granted when the parent or legal guardian signs for the teen's Level 2 License.


Applying for an Enhanced Graduated Driver License

In addition to the requirements above, you may apply for an enhanced GDL at Level 2 with parental approval if:


         You are a U.S. citizen and a Michigan resident

         You have no violations, suspensions, revocations or denials on your driving record that would prevent you from legally operating a motor vehicle

To apply:

         Visit any Secretary of State office. Make sure you bring documentation of:

         A valid Social Security number (for example, a Social Security card)

         U.S. citizenship (for example, a certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised seal, must be issued by a governmental unit in the U.S. or U.S. territory)

         Identity (for example, a photo ID. If the young driver does not have acceptable photo ID, a parent or guardian must present their driver's license or ID and sign for their child.)

         Residency (for example, high school records or transcripts. Residency documents in a family member's name may be used if the family relationship can be established by other forms of documented proof.)

Please refer to the Documents Required for an Enhanced License or ID form for a complete list of acceptable documentation.

         Have a new photograph taken

Pay $45 for the standard enhanced license. There are additional fees for a chauffeur license, Commercial Driver License designations and endorsements or motorcycle endorsement.

All documentation is subject to Department of State approval. In some cases, document approval may not occur in the same day and may require an additional visit.

Once you complete the enhanced license application process, you will be issued a Temporary Operator's Permit to drive. The operator's permit does not qualify as a secure document for border-crossing purposes. Your enhanced license is valid for up to four years and should arrive in the mail within two to three weeks.

Source: DMV 




    Driving School Advertisement


    Home | Contact Us | Find a Driving School | Online Drivers Education | Link Directory | Sitemap | Advertise your Driving School

    © wanadrive.com
    Carte d'affaire