Driving School

Find a Driving School Online Driver's EdLicense ProcessDriving ResourceContact UsWhat's New

DMV - New driver license in North Dakota

Application for a driver鈥檚 license in North Dakota





To obtain a North Dakota operator's license, you must visit one of the Drivers License and Testing offices. No appointment is needed to take the written examination; however, you must have an appointment for a road test.


Please notify the Drivers License and Traffic Safety Division if you change your address. Commercial license holders must obtain a duplicate license if there is a change of address. You may renew your drivers license 10 months prior to its expiration date without losing any of the time remaining on your current license. You must retest if your license is expired more than one year.



Age Requirements  

The minimum driving age in North Dakota is 16. You may not drive in North Dakota if you are under 16, even if you are licensed in another state. However, a North Dakota resident can obtain a restricted license at the age of 14. A parent or legal guardian must sign for a minor under the age of 18 to be issued a permit or license.


If you are at least 14 years of age and wish to be identified as a donor on your operator's license, permit, or identification card, you may do so by signing the donor identification block on the application form.


Identification Requirements

As part of a nationwide effort to enhance the issuance of secure identification credentials, proof of current name and date of birth is required when applying for a North Dakota Permit, License, or Identification card. Out of state permits, licenses, and ID cards will not be accepted as proof of name and date of birth.


Acceptable Forms of Identification are:


         U.S. Birth Certificate (state certified; Government-issued; includes U.S. territories).

         Valid U.S. Passport

         U.S. Government-issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Certificate or FS240-seal required).

         Valid Foreign Passport with an I-94 card or an I-551 stamp.

         U.S. Active Duty/Retiree/Reservist Military ID Card.

         U.S. Court Order containing the legal name and date of birth (Court seal required). Divorce decree and marriage certificate are not acceptable for proof of date of birth.

         North Dakota state issued permit, license, or ID card

         The following Immigration documents (unexpired):

         I-551 Resident Alien or Permanant Resident Card

         I-688 Temporary Resident Identification Card

         I-688B, I-766 Employment Authorization Card

         N560 Certificate of Citizenship

         N550 Certificate of Naturalization

         I-94 card stamped Refugee or Asylee


Only original documents and certified copies will be accepted. No photocopies. A court order or government issued marriage certificate is required for a name change. Several documents may be necessary in the event there has been more than one name change since birth.


North Dakota residents may obtain a non-driver photo identification card by visiting an automated driver license site. A fee of $8 and proof of current name and date of birth is required (see the above list of acceptable documents). There is no minimum age requirement.


All applications for permit, license, or identification card must contain a social security number. The social security number will be verified with the Social Security Administration. However, the social security number will not be used as the driver license or identification card number.


Source: DMV 





    Driving School Advertisement


    Home | Contact Us | Find a Driving School | Online Drivers Education | Link Directory | Sitemap | Advertise your Driving School

    © wanadrive.com
    Carte d'affaire