Driving School

Find a Driving School Online Driver's EdLicense ProcessDriving ResourceContact UsWhat's New

DMV - New driver license in Washington

Application for a driver鈥檚 license in Washington 



Before getting a driver license, a teen must:

         be at least 16 years of age.

         pass a traffic safety education course.

         have an instruction permit for at least 6 months.

         get at least 50 hours of supervised driving practice (including 10 hours at night) with someone who has been licensed for 5 years or more. For help in supervising driving practice, use the:


         Intermediate License logbook to record behind-the-wheel driving practice.

         Washington Parent Guide to Teen Driving for tips on how to supervise driving practice.

         Safe-Driving Agreement between parents and teens to establish safe-driving rules.

         not have any traffic violations within 6 months of applying for the license.

         not have been convicted of any alcohol or drug offense while holding an instruction permit.


How to get a license

Once you have completed these steps, visit a driver licensing office and:

         present a signed certificate showing you have passed an approved traffic safety education course. If you don鈥檛 have a copy of your certificate, ask your driver training school for a copy before you apply for your license. If the school has closed, contact us at tse@dol.wa.gov or (360) 902-0110.

         have a parent or guardian grant permission and confirm your driving practice by signing the Parental Authorization Affidavit at the licensing office.

         pass a knowledge test (if you have not previously taken a knowledge test).

         pass a driving test.

         pass a vision screening.

         provide proof you are a Washington State resident. You may use your parent or guardian鈥檚 residence address, as long as they live in Washington State and can present a Washington State driver license, ID card, or other documents to prove residence.

         present proof of identity.

         provide your social security number, or sign a declaration if you don鈥檛 have one.

Special rules for teen drivers

When teens get a driver license, they must follow some special rules and restrictions. These rules are in place to help protect teen drivers from accidents and help them develop and improve skills in the safest way.

If you are under 18, you will be issued an intermediate driver license and must follow these special rules:


         For the first 6 months, you cannot drive with passengers under the age of 20 unless they are members of your immediate family (such as a spouse, child, stepchild, or siblings, both by birth and marriage).

         For the next 6 months, you cannot carry more than 3 passengers who are under 20 years old who are not members of your immediate family.

         Nighttime driving:

For the first 12 months, you cannot drive between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. unless you are with a licensed driver age 25 or older. The only exception to this rule is if you drive for agricultural purposes, meaning you transport farm products or supplies under the direction of a farmer (See RCW 46.20.070).

How long these restriction apply

After 1 year of following these rules and driving without a collision or traffic citation, you can drive without limitations to the time of day or passengers you can carry. When you turn 18, these special rules no longer apply and your intermediate driver license automatically becomes a regular license.

Penalties for driving violations and accidents

         First violation: We will extend the passenger and nighttime restrictions until you are age 18 and send a warning letter to you and your parent or guardian if you do any of the following:

         Get a ticket for violating the restrictions.

         Get a ticket for violating a rule of the road.

         Are involved in an accident where:

         You get a ticket or are determined to have caused the accident.

         No one involved in the accident receives a ticket.

         The cause of the accident cannot be determined.

         Only your car was involved in the accident.

         Second violation: Your license will be suspended for 6 months (or until age 18 if that comes first). We will notify you and your parent or guardian before we take any suspension action.

         Third violation: Your license will be suspended until you are age 18. We will notify you and your parent or guardian before we take any suspension action.

Note: The Department of Licensing doesn鈥檛 determine who caused an accident. We receive collision data from the Department of Transportation. To request a copy of your collision report, contact the Washington State Patrol records division at (360) 570-2355.

Warning letters and penalties until age 18

Once you have a year of driving safely without a driving violation or accident, the passenger and nighttime driving restrictions expire and won鈥檛 be reinstated. However, if you are under 18 you are still subject to receiving the warning letter and license suspension penalties.

Frequently asked questions

Do I have to get a new license when I turn 18?

No. When a driver reaches age 18, the intermediate driver license automatically becomes a regular driver license and the special rules no longer apply.

How do police enforce the rules and restrictions on teen drivers?

Police enforce the restrictions of an intermediate driver license as a 鈥渟econdary action.鈥 This means that if a teen driver is stopped for a traffic offense, the officer can cite the driver for any violations of intermediate license restrictions.

If I have a drug or alcohol-related offense or Minor in Possession (MIP), can I get my intermediate license?

You cannot get a driver license until you are 18 years old if you are convicted of one of the following offenses while you have an instruction permit:

         Driving under the influence (RCW 46.61.502)

         Physical control of vehicle under the influence (RCW 46.61.504)

         Driver under 21 consuming alcohol (RCW 46.61.503)

         Alcohol or drug violations (RCW 46.20.265)

If I have a license from another state, do the special rules of an intermediate license apply to me?

Yes. A teen with a valid out-of-state license must get an intermediate license and meet all the same requirements.



If you have never had a driver license before and are over 18:


1.Visit a driver licensing office.

 Bring with you:

         Proof of identity and residence.

         Cash or check to pay your $45 license fee ($20 for your application and $25 for your license).

2.Complete a driver license application, which includes:

         your address and phone number.

         a physical description, (height, weight and eye color).

         your place of birth and mother鈥檚 maiden name.

         physical and mental fitness statement.

         previous driver license information, if any.

         suspensions, revocations, or cancellations of prior driver licenses.

         your social security number, which is mandatory to help enforce child support laws. Your social security number will be verified but does not appear on your license.

3.Pass a knowledge test. (The knowledge test must be completed before you can schedule a driving test.)

4.Pass a vision screening and demonstration of color recognition.

5.Pass a driving test. (If you plan to practice for your driving test, you will need to get an instruction permit.)

6.Have your photograph taken.

Receiving your license

You will receive a temporary license at the driver licensing office, which will allow you to drive for 45 days. Your new finalized Washington driver license will be processed and mailed to you within 7鈥10 days. If for some reason you have not received your new license within 30 days, please return to any driver licensing office.


How to get a Washington State driver license if you have a valid license from another state

To learn how to get a driver license after moving to Washington from another state, see Moving? Get WA license.


How to get an enhanced driver license (EDL)

See Steps to getting your EDL/EID to learn how to get a Washington State enhanced driver license, which is an acceptable alternative to a passport for re-entry into the U.S. at land and sea border crossings.


Source : DMV

    Driving School Advertisement


    Home | Contact Us | Find a Driving School | Online Drivers Education | Link Directory | Sitemap | Advertise your Driving School

    © wanadrive.com
    Carte d'affaire