Driving School

Find a Driving School Online Driver's EdLicense ProcessDriving ResourceContact UsWhat's New

DMV - New driver license in Wyoming

Application for a driver’s license in Wyoming





If you have recently moved to Wyoming, you will need to apply for a Wyoming driver license eventually. (Application form FSDL-705) You have one year from the time you establish residency to be issued a Wyoming driver's license, provided the license you currently have is NOT issued by one of the following states: Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee or Wisconsin. These states are not part of the Driver's License Compact. If you hold a license from one of these states, you must apply for a Wyoming license once you have established residency here.

Contact our help desk at 307-777-4800 if you have questions concerning residency requirements for licensing.

Applying for a Wyoming driver's license or identification card: You must appear in person at your local driver exam station to apply for a first-time Wyoming license or identification card. You will be asked to surrender your out-of-state issued driver license when you apply for the Wyoming license. You are required to record your Social Security number on the application form. You may be asked to verify that number with your Social Security card if there is a discrepancy. Your Social Security number will NOT be displayed on the face of your driver license or ID card, but is required as part of the identity verification process. If you do not have your current out-of-state driver's license or ID card to surrender, a state-certified copy of your birth certificate or valid U.S. passport/passport card is required. You will be photographed and driver license applicants must complete a vision screening evaluation. If you have any medical or vision problems, you may be asked to have your doctor complete a Medical Evaluation form and/or a Vision Evaluation form before you can be issued a driver license.    

Active-Duty Military: Active-duty military personnel and their dependents are exempt from the requirement to obtain a Wyoming driver license. Should you decide to apply for a Wyoming driver license, you are required to surrender your out-of-state issued license and present a state-certified copy of your birth certificate. If you are not a dependent, you may want to have the expiration date of your license waived. When you present your valid active-duty military ID card, your license will be issued with an "I" restriction that will waive the expiration date of your license when accompanied by active-duty orders or your ID card. 

Non-U.S. Citizens:  If you were not born in the United States, you are required to present one of the following documents when you apply for a Wyoming driver license: 

U.S. Department of State Certificate of Birth Abroad,

U.S. Department of State Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship, and/or

Bureau of Citizenship and Naturalization documents including:  Resident Alien card, Employment Authorization card, valid passport with VISA & I-94, and any other documents that may have been issued to you by BCIS which verify legal entry into the United States. Your lawful status will be verified with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services. 

Testing:  You may be required to take a written test and/or a driving skills test when applying for a first-time Wyoming driver license. The driver examiner has the discretion to require either or both tests, based upon personal observation, medical or vision information and other factors. When taking the driving-skills test, you should be prepared to test in a vehicle that is familiar to you. The vehicle must be of the same class as the driver license you are applying for. Driver Services does not provide any vehicles or motorcycles for testing purposes. 

Commercial Drivers:  If your current license is a CDL with a hazardous materials endorsement, you will be required to retake the hazardous materials written test. If you want to add an endorsement when applying for a Wyoming CDL, you will be required to take both the written and driving-skills tests appropriate for the type of endorsement. Driving skills tests for CDL drivers are scheduled ahead of time. The examiner will schedule it for you once you have paid the $40 skills test fee and passed any written testing. Written tests are free of charge. You must provide your own commercial class vehicle for the type of license you are seeking. 

Fees: Acceptable forms of payment are check, money order or cash. Credit or debit card payments are available in Cheyenne, Casper and Jackson driver examination offices.

  • $20 Class C
  • $25 CDL
  • $3 Motorcycle (added to class of license)
  • $10 Identification Card

Note: If your driving privilege is withdrawn due to suspension, cancellation, denial, revocation; or if you are disqualified, in Wyoming or any other state, you will not be issued a Wyoming driver license until you have met all the requirements for reinstatement of your driving privileges. 

If you are unsure of your driving privilege status, you should appear in person at your local driver examination office and the examiner at the front counter will run a check of your status through the Problem Driver Pointer System. You are required to show the examiner identification when you ask them to run the check. 


Source: DMV 




    Driving School Advertisement


    Home | Contact Us | Find a Driving School | Online Drivers Education | Link Directory | Sitemap | Advertise your Driving School

    © wanadrive.com
    Carte d'affaire