Driving School

Find a Driving School Online Driver's EdLicense ProcessDriving ResourceContact UsWhat's New

DMV - New driver license in California

Application for a Driver鈥檚 License in CaliforniaCalifornia driving school

    Provisional Instruction Permits

    If you are under 18 and at least 15 陆 you can apply for a provisional driver license. The first step to getting your license is to get your instruction permit. Because you are under 18, your permit and driver license are called, "Provisional." This means you have additional restrictions placed on your permit and driver license that adults (18 and over) do not have.


    Your provisional instruction permit will have the following restrictions.

             You must obey the traffic laws

             You must drive without a collision

             You must drive with your parent, guardian, spouse, or an adult 25 years of age or older, who has a valid California driver license.

             You must hold your permit for six months before you can take your driving test to get your driver license.


    Driver License

    To take your driving test you must:

             Be 16 years old

             Have held your California instruction permit for a minimum of six months

             Have completed driver education

             Have completed 6 hours of professional driver training. Select a driving school

             Have completed 50 hours of practice with an adult 25 of age years or older. The adult must have a valid California driver license and certify the 50 hours of practice. At least 10 of the 50 hours must have been done at night.


    How to apply for a driver license if you are over 18

    If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

    If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner鈥檚 property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.


    To apply for an original driver license if you are over 18, you will need to do the following:

             Visit a DMV office (make an Appointment(s) for faster service)

             Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)

             Give a thumb print

             Have your picture taken

             Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.

             Verify your birth date and legal presence If your current name no longer matches the name on your birth data/legal presence document, see "True Full Name" and "How to Change Your Name" for more information.

             Provide your true full name

             Pay the application fee

             Pass a vision exam

             Pass a traffic laws and sign test. There are 36 questions on the test. You have three chances to pass.

    Note: To allow you sufficient time for testing DMV will not be administering written or audio exams after 4:30 p.m.


    You will then be issued a permit if you have never been licensed before. When you practice, you must have an accompanying adult who is 18 years of age or older, with a valid California license. This person must be close enough to you to take control of the vehicle if necessary. It is illegal for you to drive alone.


    If you have a license from another country, you will be required to take a driving test. If you have a license from another state, the driving test can be waived.


    To take your driving test, you will need to:

             Make a driving test Appointment(s) . (Driving tests are not given without an appointment.) You may also call 1-800-777-0133 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday, to make a driving test appointment.

             Provide proof of financial responsibility

    You must show that your vehicle is properly insured before the driving test begins (or the test will be postponed) by providing one of the following:

             A document with the liability insurance policy or surety bond number.

             An Assigned Risk insurance card with the name of the assigned insurance company, file number, and current coverage dates.

             Current insurance binder or copy of an insurance policy signed or countersigned by an insurance company representative.

             Rental car contract if the driver is listed on the contract as the insured.

             DMV-issued certificate of self-insurance or acknowledgment of cash deposit.

             Written confirmation from the insurer that the person is insured.


    You have three chances to pass the driving test. If you fail, you may practice for a while, then make another appointment. There is no waiting period, but you must make an appointment. If you fail to successfully complete the driving test on the first attempt, you must pay a $6 fee for each additional driving test that is administered under an application for an original or renewal driver license.


    After you pass your driving test you will be issued an interim license valid for 60 days until you receive your new photo license in the mail. Double-check your address before you leave DMV and tell the DMV representative if you have moved or if your address is incorrect. If you have not received your license after 60 days, call 1-800-777-0133 and they can check on the status for you. Have your interim license with you to provide information when requested.


    If your name is different on your birth date and/or legal presence document than the one you are currently using, you will also need to provide an additional acceptable document to establish your true full name, such as; a marriage certificate, dissolution of marriage, adoption or name change document that shows your current name.


    Source: DMV

    Driving School Advertisement


    Home | Contact Us | Find a Driving School | Online Drivers Education | Link Directory | Sitemap | Advertise your Driving School

    © wanadrive.com
    Carte d'affaire