Driving School

Find a Driving School Online Driver's EdLicense ProcessDriving ResourceContact UsWhat's New

DMV - New driver license in Delaware

Application for a Driver鈥檚 License in Delaware

Graduated Driver License For First Time Applicants Under Age 18

The graduated driver license program is designed to reduce the high accident and fatality rate of minor drivers. Minors will receive additional supervised driving experience and reduced exposure to high-risk driving situations. The parent or sponsor will actively participate in training the minor and determining when the minor is capable of increased driving authority.

Level One Learner's Permit

Applicant's eligibility requirements:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Must be at least 16 years old, and less than 18 years of age.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Must present a Delaware Driver Education Certificate (Blue Certificate) as proof that you passed a certified Delaware Driver Education Course. If you passed a course in another state, your out-of-state certificate must be approved by the Department of Education; this approval must be presented to the Division of Motor Vehicles. For approval send the certificate to Dr. M. Dean Betts, Education Associate Driver Education, Department of Education, Collette Education Resource Center, 35 Commerce Way, Suite 1, Dover, Delaware 19904, or fax to 302-739-1780 (Telephone 302-857-3320).

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Must provide documentation proving the applicant's name and date of birth, social security number if eligible, and two proofs of Delaware residency (unless the sponsor is a licensed Delaware driver and lives at the same address as the applicant). A list of approved documents are contained in the Required Documentation Table in this chapter.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 All minor's driver license applications must be signed by a sponsor. The sponsor is held jointly liable with the minor for any damages resulting from the minor's negligence. The sponsor has the final authority to determine if the minor is capable of handling the responsibility of operating a motor vehicle and the authority to designate who may supervise the minor driver. The sponsor may withdraw his/her endorsement at any time until the minor reaches age 18, thereby canceling the minor's driving privileges. The following sponsors are listed in order of preference:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Either father or mother of the minor if both parents are living together within this State and the minor resides with both parents.

- OR -

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Father of the minor, if the father is living within this State, and the minor resides with the father only. Mother of the minor, if the mother is living within this State and the minor resides with the mother only. Father or mother, if the father or mother lives within this State, and the minor resides with neither parent, and the minor has no legal guardian within this State. (Note: Stepparents can not act as a sponsor unless the minor is adopted or appointed the minor's guardian.)

- OR 鈥

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Legal guardian or court-appointed custodian of the minor, duly appointed as such under the laws of this State.

- OR -

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 By any suitable person acceptable to the Secretary of Public Safety or the Chief of Driver Services, (302) 744-2561.

The sponsor must sign the minor's drivers license application in the presence of a Division licensing employee. However, the parent, guardian, or court-appointed custodian acting as a sponsor can have his/her signature notarized on the application and have it forwarded to the Division.

The applicant must pay $25.00 Class D license fee and pass an eye screen at the time of application.

Minors who require specialized evaluation, training or equipment to operate a motor vehicle because of a physical or mental disability will be identified by the driver education teacher and tested by the Division.

Level One Learner's Permit Restrictions:

Permit must be in the possession of the permit holder when driving a motor vehicle.

When the permit holder is under mandatory supervision, the supervisor must be a properly licensed parent, guardian or licensed driver (approved by the sponsor) who is at least 25 years of age and has held a Class D license for at least 5 years. The supervising driver must be seated beside the permit holder in the front seat of the vehicle when it is in motion. No person other than the supervising driver can be in the front seat.

For the first six months after issuance of a Level One Learner's Permit, the permit holder may only drive when supervised. This is the mandatory supervision period.

The sponsor shall certify that the permit holder has driven for 50 hours; 10 of which includes nighttime driving. The certification is to be turned into the Department of Education after the first six months of valid driving authority.

Ther permit holder and all passengers, under the age of 18, must wear a safety belt or be secured in a child safety seat or booster seat while the vehicle is in motion and the permit holder is driving.

After the first six months of valid Level One Learner's Permit driving authority, the permit holder may drive:

Unsupervised between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.

The permit holder may drive between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. only when under supervision. Exception: The permit holder may travel without supervision during those hours when going directly to and from church activities, work activities, and the permit holder's school activities on school property.

No passengers other than the adult supervisor and one other passenger may be in the vehicle during the first year. During the second six-month-period of unsupervised driving when a supervisor is not present, only one other passenger in addition to the driver may be in the vehicle. This passenger limit does not apply to immediate family members.

The permit holder and all passengers, under the age of 18, must wear a safety belt or be secured in a child safety seat or booster seat while the vehicle is in motion and the permit holder is driving.

Persons who violate the Level One Learner's Permit restrictions are considered as driving without a license which will result in a 2-month suspension for the first offense and a 4-month suspension for subsequent offenses.

Eligibility for a Class D Operator's License

A permit holder who is at least 17 years old, but less than 18 years old, may obtain a Class D operator's license when the driver has held a Level One Learner's Permit for at least 12 months, the sponsor has not withdrawn his/her endorsement, and the applicant's driving privileges are not suspended, revoked, canceled, denied, or surrendered.

NOTE: The Level One Learner's Permit will automatically convert to a Class D license once the permit holder has completed a full 12 months of valid driving authority. The time used to compute the 12 months of required driving experience shall not include any period of time when the permit holder's driving privilege has been suspended, revoked, canceled, denied, or surrendered. A period of additional driving experience equivalent to that of the suspension, revocation, cancellation, denial, or surrender will be added to the end of the original 12 month period. This will ensure that the permit holder has fully complied wiht the required ful 12 months of valid driving authority.

Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

Class D Operator's License

This class of license includes passenger cars, station wagons, pickup trucks, utility vehicles, and most panel trucks. This type and class of license is valid for any single motor vehicle, and a trailer, with weights not greater than 26,000 pounds, designed to carry less than 16 passengers (including the driver) and not placarded for the purpose of transporting hazardous materials.

Commercial Driver's Licenses (CDL)

There is a Delaware Commercial Driver's manual which covers the CDL requirements, CDL procedures, testing requirements, and the basic knowledge required to obtain a CDL license. The manual is available for no cost at any Division facility.

The requirement for a CDL license is waived when the driver is operating farm equipment, firefighting equipment, recreational vehicles, or military members operating military vehicles.

Waivers for CDL Provisions

Non-commercial driver licenses are issued to those drivers who operate farm, firefighting, and other emergency equipment under this waiver. No special licenses are required when operating personal recreation vehicles and military equipment. The following defines these waived class of vehicles:

Farm Vehicles which are:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Controlled and operated by a farmer

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Used to transport either agricultural products, farm machinery, farm supplies or both to or from a farm

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Used within 150 miles of the person's farm and

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Not used for hire.

Firefighting equipment which is:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Used by any fire company in this State for the preservation of life or property or the execution of emergency governmental functions.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Being operated under the authorization of a fire company for parades, special events, repair service, delivery or other such authorized movements.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Military equipment owned by the Department of Defense, including the National Guard, when operated by persons on active military duty or members of the reserves and National Guard on active full-time or part-time duty.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Recreational vehicles or trailers defined in Title 21 which provide temporary living quarters and are used solely for recreational purposes.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Emergency Mobile Communication Units operated in relation to a County Emergency Communication Center, the State Police or any Municipality.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Any other emergency vehicle, as defined by Title 21, used in the preservation of life or property or in the execution of emergency governmental functions and are equipped with audible and visual signals and are not subject to normal traffic regulation.

CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (Learner's Permit)

After passing the knowledge tests and paying a $30.00 fee, you may be issued a CDL learner's permit which will allow you to drive a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV), but only with another licensed CDL driver. You may only drive the class of vehicle specified on your learner's permit, and you may drive only with a CDL driver qualified in the same type CMV. This permit is valid for six (6) months. You may extend this learner's permit one time for another six (6) months for $2.00.

CDL Class A License

This license is required when the vehicle's combination registered, actual or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is over 26,000 pounds, and the vehicle is towing a vehicle with a registered, actual or GVWR over 10,000 pounds.

CDL Class B License

This license is required when the vehicle's registered, actual or rated weight (GVWR) is over 26,000 pounds, and it is not towing another vehicle over 10,000 pounds GVWR.

CDL Class C License

This license is required for vehicles under 26,000 pounds when vehicles are designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver, or for vehicles required to be placarded for carrying hazardous materials (HAZMAT).

NON - CDL Class A License

Required for the same CMV vehicles as the CDL Class A license, but only when operating farm, firefighting, and other authorized emergency vehicles under a CDL waiver.

NON - CDL Class B License

Required for the same CMV vehicles as the CDL Class B license, but only when operating farm, firefighting, and other authorized emergency vehicles under a CDL waiver.

Source: DMV

    Driving School Advertisement


    Home | Contact Us | Find a Driving School | Online Drivers Education | Link Directory | Sitemap | Advertise your Driving School

    © wanadrive.com
    Carte d'affaire