Driving School

Find a Driving School Online Driver's EdLicense ProcessDriving ResourceContact UsWhat's New

DMV - New driver license in Hawaii

Application for a driver鈥檚 license in Hawaii

Appointment for Road Test System (ARTS)

The City and County of Honolulu Online Driver License Appointment for Road Test System (ARTS) allows you to schedule a new or change an existing driver's license road test appointment at one of the five driver's license offices on Oahu. This online service is not currently available for motorcycle or commercial driver's license road test appointments.

Road tests are normally administered Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., excluding State holidays. There is a non-refundable road test fee of $8.00. The City and County of Honolulu accepts Visa and MasterCard payments online.


In order to make an online appointment you must meet the following requirements:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Applicant for passenger vehicle Class 3.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Applicant has a current Instruction Permit that has not expired.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Applicants who are 16-17 years old must present:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Instruction Permit held for a period of at least 180 days

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Driver Education Student Completion Certificate (Form HDOT DE-20, 12-2000)

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Behind-the-Wheel Student Completion Certificate (Form HDOT DE-21, 12-2000)


聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 The following information is needed when making an online appointment:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 First Name

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Last Name

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Date of Birth

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Instruction Permit Number (ie. Hxxxxxxxx)


An appointment can only be rescheduled online before 6:00 a.m. of the scheduled appointment date.If you are unable to keep your appointment and unable to access the Internet please notify the location where the appointment was scheduled at least one business day prior.

OUTSTANDING VIOLATIONS NOTE: Applicants' records are electronically checked against the State Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB) file to ensure compliance.All outstanding violations must be cleared with the State Traffic Violations Bureau before you can obtain a driver's license.Failure to obtain either a clearance letter from the TVB (covering the proper violation period) or having TVB clear your violation record on the electronic files within 30 days of passing the road test will result in your having to retake the road test.

The process may take several days to clear the electronic records and road test scores are valid for only 30 days, so please plan accordingly.聽聽 For information on clearing your driving record please contact:

State Traffic Violations Bureau1111 Alakea Street, Second Floor(808) 538-5500

General Requirements For All Applicants

(New, Renewals and Duplicate Licenses and Instruction Permits)

Acceptable Signature Filing for Minors

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Both parents (married, separated or divorced with joint custody).

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Divorced parent with custody papers.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 One parent, spouse deceased.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Legal guardian(s) with Court Documents.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Foster parents with Court Documents.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Responsible person(s), if parents deceased.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Employer, if parents deceased and no responsible person(s).

Note: For minor applicants between the ages of 15.5 through 17, a certified copy of the minor's birth certificate is required to establish proof of age and to determine who may sign the parental consent.

Acceptable Documents for Change of Name, Sex, Birthdate

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Naturalization Certificate.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Decree by Lt. Governor's Office (Hawaii Only).

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Divorce Decree with name change listed.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Hawaii Marriage Certificate (Dept. of Health Document Only).

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Out-of-State Marriage Certificates (State issued with Seal).

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Certified statement by physician stating sex change is valid.

Acceptable Documents for Proof of Name and Birth Date: Including 18 years old

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 U.S. Territorial Driver's License (expired/valid with photo).

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 U.S. Passport only.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Document/Card.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Alien Registration/Refugee ID Card.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 State of Hawaii ID Card w/photo.

Military Documents: Consular Report of Birth and U.S. Military issued Certificate of Birth (SF-240/SF-545).

State Certified Birth Certificate with both parents listed or State Certified Birth ID Card.

Acceptable Documents for Proof of Social Security Number

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Original Social Security Card (no copies or metal plates).

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Driver's License w/Social Security Number and photo.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 State of Hawaii ID Card w/photo.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Military Documents: ID Card or DD-214.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Medicaid ID Card (Suffix A only).

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Income Tax Return Form W-2.

Note: Name and social security number must match your present and legal name. Other documents may be required as needed by the Examiner of Drivers. ID w/photo required when applying for services.

Acceptable Documents for Proof of Military Exemption

Military documents: Copy of military deployment orders showing the date of return to the U.S., duration, and place of deployment.

Other military documents acceptable to the examiner of drivers.


Driver's License and Instruction Permit Fees

(subject to change):

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Written Test$2.00

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Instruction Permit$5.00

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Instruction Permit Renewal$5.00

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Duplicate Instruction Permit Renewal$5.00

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Provisional License$3.00 per year

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 (or fraction thereof)

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Duplicate Provisional License$5.00

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Duplicate License$5.00

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Two-Year License$6.00

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Four-Year License$12.00

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Eight-Year License$24.00

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Reactivation Fee (Renewal after 90-day grace period)$5.00 per 30-day period

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Road Test Fee$8.00

Number of Driver's Licenses

You must surrender all valid driver's licenses in your possession in order to obtain a State of Hawaii driver's license. No driver is permitted to hold more than one valid driver's license at any time.


You will not be issued a driver's license, if:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 your license has been suspended or revoked by a court of law;

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 you have failed to pass the required driver's examination;

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 you have not deposited proof of financial responsibility (such as an auto liability insurance policy, surety bond, etc.) if State law for this responsibility applies to you;

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 the examiner of drivers has good cause to believe that you would not be able to operate a motor vehicle safely upon the highways by reason of physical or mental disability;

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 you are under the age of 16 years;

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 you are 16 through 17 years of age, and do not have parental consent;

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 you have a traffic violation which is unsatisfied or is pending a court hearing;

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 you do not have an Instruction Permit or a valid driver's license from another U.S. jurisdiction.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 there is a stopper on the Problem Driver Pointer System (PDPS).

Special Requirements

Minor (ages 15 陆 through 17) Applicants

Permit applications by minors must be signed by both parents or, when applicable, by the certified custodial parent, certified custodial guardian, or certified foster parents. (Only certified copies of court documents are acceptable.)

The spouse (who is an adult) of a minor applicant may sign the license application with proof of age and certified copy of the marriage certificate.

Minors who are legally emancipated may sign license applications upon presentation of the certified court document which granted emancipation.

Provisional licenses will expire on your 19th birthday.

Effective January 9, 2006, the minimum age to acquire a permit is 15 陆 and the minimum age to acquire a provisional license is 16. Minors between the ages of 16 through 17 must pass and present certificates of completion of mandatory driver education and behind the wheel training from a DOT authorized instructor, before securing a Road Test.

"MINOR APPLICANTS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 鈥 Effective July 1, 2007, in order to comply with Act 105 of the 2006 Hawaii State Legislature, a provisional or full license will not be issued to persons under the age of eighteen who have pending violations or proceedings that might result in the suspension or revocation of the provisional license, and any pending adjudication of an offense relating to the operation of a motor vehicle.

Effective November 5, 2007, an electronic interface between the City & County of Honolulu driver record system and Judiciary's Information Management System (JIMS) has been bridged. The system will flag the driver record of a minor with any pending violations or proceedings that might result in the suspension or revocation of the provisional license, or any pending adjudication of an offense relating to the operation of a motor vehicle.

In certain situations, a minor may be provided a Referral Slip, form CS-L(DL) 237 and referred to the District Court to obtain a status letter. The status letter is valid for 30 days from the date of issuance and must indicate that the minor has no pending violations, proceedings, or adjudications within the jurisdiction of the District Court of the State of Hawaii. The letter must be presented to the Motor Vehicle, Licensing and Permits Division before receiving a driver's license.

For issuance of a provisional license, the minor must return to the driver license station within 30 days of passing the road test with the status letter, or the test results will be invalidated.

For issuance of a full license, the applicant must return to the driver license station with the status letter.

Adult (ages 25 through 71) Applicants

New licenses and renewals will expire on your eighth birthday following the date of issue.

Senior (ages 72 or older) Applicants

New licenses and renewals will expire on your second birthday following the date of issue.

Instruction Permit Applicants

You may apply for a temporary instruction permit if, except for a lack on instruction in operating a motor vehicle, you would otherwise be qualified to obtain a driver's license.

You must obtain an Instruction Permit as a first step to qualify for a new driver's license.

The examiner of drivers shall test your:

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 eyesight and determine if you possess the physical and mental capabilities to safely operate a motor vehicle;

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 understanding of highway signs regulating, warning and directing traffic;

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 knowledge of traffic laws, ordinances, or regulations of the State and City and County of Honolulu.

If the examiner of drivers is satisfied that you are qualified to receive an instruction permit, the examiner of drivers shall issue the permit to you. The permit is valid for a period of one year. Permits may NOT be renewed by mail.

Except when operating a motorcycle or moped, you shall be accompanied by a licensed driver 21 years of age or older. The licensed person shall occupy a seat as near to you as is practical while the motor vehicle is being operated.

The temporary instruction permit does not allow you to operate a motorcycle or moped during the hours of darkness or carry any passenger.

Your temporary instruction permit for the operation of a motorcycle or moped may not be renewed nor shall you be issued another temporary instruction permit until you attempt the motorcycle skills exam.

Source: DMV

    Driving School Advertisement


    Home | Contact Us | Find a Driving School | Online Drivers Education | Link Directory | Sitemap | Advertise your Driving School

    © wanadrive.com
    Carte d'affaire